More Adventures

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Advice for a First Time GM

Since I've returned to table top RPG's I've played all sorts of rolls: Tank, magic user, healer, Dorito eater. Yet the one role I have yet to fill is perhaps the most important one. The Game master.

Yep. I've never GMed a game. Not once. I've offered my services only to be rebuffed by more experienced GMs. I feel I am a quality backseat GM. Meaning I will freely and often offer my story ideas and plot twists to my GM or anyone else willing to listen. I've toyed with the idea, writing campaign outlines only to stop midstream, gripped by fear and failure!

Now after all that I think I am ready to take the plunge. I have offered my services as a GM to our Starfinder game. I am a little nervous. There is the afore mentioned fear which is compounded by Gming an entirely new system . That being said, I am working on my story. I have a solid outline, a few important NPCs and a even a few rounds of combat. I've even bought the Absalom Station mod as a way to get my feet wet with the new system.  But what if I suck? What if the players hate the game? What if i don't know all the rules? or I buy the wrong GM screen?!?! 

Someone help! I am looking for advice. Is there like a GM book camp I can attend? Maybe a support group for first timers? I'd be willing. I could bring snacks.  Anyway, feel free to share your knowledge! Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Relax, take a big breath, and remember it's supposed to be fun for you, too.
    Honestly, my best advice (especially if you don't want to be tied to an AP) is get Mike Shea's book The Lazy Dungeon Master and read it. Twice. It totally changed how I approach GMing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will order that bad boy off amazon! thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're gonna rock it, dude. Here are a couple things that I would advise you to do if you're going to run a published adventure.

    1st, make sure you read that adventure you're running completely, and make some note cards or labeled bookmarks for things that will be important. Knowing the adventure very well will give you a lot of confidence.

    2nd, don't be afraid to completely go off script if your players get crazy and it is going to make things more fun. Knowing the material well will allow you to be more comfortable doing this, as you will know how far to let things go so that you can still bring it back around to the main story.

    Ok, one more thing. Since it will be your first time, create or find a one-session test adventure and run it before jumping into a full campaign.

    Cheers, bruh! Can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i bet you sat that to all the new Gm's. you old smoothie!

      Delete